Lesson 5: Color

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Participant

[attachment=0:s4akqevn]DSC_2342.JPG[/attachment:s4akqevn]

Duncan Rawlinson
    Keymaster

Wow!

Beautiful image. The composition has many of the same strong visual design elements that your previous images possess so I won’t discuss those any further. I would rather focus on a few of the design changes I would make. This image is great. In fact, I think it’s one of your strongest, but I see hidden potential in this image so it would be a disservice to you not to talk about these issues.

Most strikingly is your horizon line. Why centered? The bottom of the composition seems so much more interesting to me. In fact, the sky isn’t that interesting at all yet you’ve given it the same priority as you have your foreground.

Which brings me to my next point. There is so much potential for a strong foreground element here. The weeds in the foreground are about to be back lit which would really help you pull out their texture. But I think you needed to get lower and increase your exposure a bit. If you had a gray-grad filter you could have properly exposed for your foreground without blowing out your sky. Gray-grad filters are really cheap. I would recommend picking one up for this type of work.

I’m not the biggest fan of this image, but it communicates the idea I’m talking about with getting lower and backlighting your weeds:

http://www.davebulow.com/blog/uploaded_images/wheat_field_freston_sunset.jpg

Lots of texture, a strong sense of depth, but you need to get rid of most of the sky and get lower.

Other than that… beautiful image. My initial reaction to this image was very positive!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.