Lesson 5: Colour Theory

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Scamper
    Participant

I’ve been trying hard to look at colours differently since reading the lesson and in particular to try and simplify the colour palette in my shots. There are loads of opportunities for green/yellow combinations around here, but I did found some other interesting colour opportunities this weekend in Italy. Here are a few that I liked:
    [attachment=2:1vyj8712]IMG_1103-small.jpg[/attachment:1vyj8712]
    [attachment=1:1vyj8712]IMG_1152-small.jpg[/attachment:1vyj8712]
    [attachment=0:1vyj8712]IMG_1502-small.jpg[/attachment:1vyj8712]

Duncan Rawlinson
    Keymaster

Hi Tom!

How nice to be able to spend the weekend in italy! I am green with envy! Get it, that’s a color joke! hehehhehe.

I was in venice recently.

Here are some photographs I took there:
    http://duncan.photoshelter.com/gallery-image/Venice-Italy/G0000ePQPuY7ssog/I000090viPEtbA4o
    http://duncan.photoshelter.com/gallery-image/Venice-Italy/G0000ePQPuY7ssog/I0000Ee1.FRMeEaY
    http://duncan.photoshelter.com/gallery-image/Venice-Italy/G0000ePQPuY7ssog/I0000yF8pRN09mTo

You’ve certainly seen colors in your world and used color to create three visually appealing photographs! So you have completed the assignment with er, um, flying colors. How many bad color jokes can I do? 😳

All three of your images are nice but your last image is by far the strongest photograph of the three.

The first two images have a nice minimalist aesthetic and they have been reduced to simplicity. They are clean, elegant, and I like them quite a bit. They certainly meet the criteria for this assignment. However for some reason I am very drawn to your last image and I want to discuss why.

Your last image is stunning. In fact it’s arguably one of best images ever submitted here by a student.

There are a whole series of elements that you have lined up to make for this nice image. This photograph features all of the following elements:

great composition
    lovely soft colors
    rich textures
    amazing patterns
    small details
    good exposure
    nice light
    nice shadows
    lovely reflections on the water
    a great color palette

It’s magic! 🙂

The only thing I would do to improve this is ensure that it was a tiny but sharper.

Nice job here Tom!!! Awesome work! High fives!!!

Scamper
    Participant

Woah! Didn’t expect to get such a rave review, but I’m really happy that you think I’m progressing so well 😀

I think I’m going to have to spend some time studying that photo so that I can thoroughly learn the elemtns that make it so good, so that I keep make sure that it wasn’t just a fluke! hehe

I love those photos you took. Especially the last one with the fishing nets on the wall. Those textures are incredible. I’ll have to go back and explore some more!! 😉

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.