Lesson 5: Organizing Color

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Lee
    Participant

[attachment=2:1oont9ux]Organizing Color 1.JPG[/attachment:1oont9ux][attachment=1:1oont9ux]Organizing Color 2.JPG[/attachment:1oont9ux][attachment=0:1oont9ux]Organizing Color 3.JPG[/attachment:1oont9ux]

Duncan Rawlinson
    Keymaster

Great work on these photographs.

For starters, you’ve done a great technical job based on what this assignment asked of you.

You were asked to work within a confined color palette as a means of simplification and you’ve done exactly that. We also hoped we would see you experiment finding controlled color palettes within larger geographic spaces and you’ve accomplished that with your first photograph as well.

Let’s start by looking at each image. I love your first image. Like your previous photographs you’ve done a great job of incorporating line and depth. My only concern with this image is that it uses fairly formal balance. I feel that your main horizontal line (i.e. the top of the road) is located too close the center of your composition. I think it would have been more interesting to lower your perspective by bending down (which would have also forced a stronger foreground) and then changed that horizontal line to abide by the rule of thirds.

Your second image accomplished great color control and a great sense of depth, but you lack a “stopper”. It’s easy for your audience’s eye to enter and then quickly leave the photograph. There is nothing there to keep our attention.

Your last photograph uses a small space, but it accomplishes what was asked of you. Not only that, but the flower acts as a stopper which gives your audience a primary object to focus on while it’s not exploring the rest of your composition.

Overall, great job on this assignment!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.