Lesson 6

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    uliana
    Participant

Lesson 6

Duncan Rawlinson
    Keymaster

Great work with all three of these compositions.

The design element that jumps out at me the strongest, which I’m very impressed with, is your use of lines.

The lines in all three photographs serve similar purposes: They draw your audience’s eyes into the composition. What I loved most about all three images, is that I see you’re starting to see “lines” in things that you wouldn’t normally expect. For example, in your first image, I can’t help but see the small pond in the foreground as a leading line drawing my eye into the composition. You’ve also used a tree (in the center of the photograph) to act as a stopper. It’s great when you can get your leading line to point your audience towards the stopper. The stopper acts as the object that holds the viewers interest in the composition. Without a stopper, it’s possible that your viewer’s eyes will enter and then quickly exit the photograph.

In your last two images, one thing I would have liked to see you experiment with a little more is perspective. It would have been interesting to see you change your perspective to be closer to the ground. What this does is force a stronger foreground element into the composition and therefore enhances your sense of depth.

For example, in your last shot you’ve used a road as the leading line guiding your viewer’s eyes into the composition.

However, watch what happens when you drop you perspective and get low to the road:

http://www.mojo3.net/wp-content/gallery/photography/onetreehill.jpg

Notice the introduction of a stronger foreground? This helps create the illusion of three dimensions and adds an interesting visual twist to the image since most audience members don’t see the world this way.

What you’ve done isn’t wrong. I just want to see you experimenting as well!

Great work with this series of shots. I’m looking forward to seeing your next assignment.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.