Lesson #6

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Lynn
    Participant

I had so many ideas for this assignment, but I was never at the right place at the right time. So I took this shot last night and thought, hmmmm, this is organized chaos at it’s best! LOL

Duncan Rawlinson
    Keymaster

Hi there,

We’ll get back to you on this within 24-48 hours.

Thanks for submitting your assignment!!

Lynn
    Participant

Actually, I just looked back at this picture and wish I could remove it. it’s actually horrible. you can’t see their faces…. they are so grainy. their motion is blured… I really don’t like it. I just haven’t posted an assignment in so long, that I think I just wanted to post one for this lesson. I jumped the gun. 😳 I need to go back and review my lesson and start from scratch…

Duncan Rawlinson
    Keymaster

Hi Lynnie, ( I wrote this before I saw your most recent post, so I think we’re on the same page…)

Thank you for submitting another assignment.

This assignment is not an easy one.

For this assignment you are going to pay extra close attention to the process of simplification. We want you to be aware of your background and your foreground. We want you to be aware of the edges of your photograph as well as the composition of your photograph. Your main concern with this photograph will be including elements which add to the overall look and story of your picture and ensuring the removal of all distracting or unimportant elements.

That being said, the image must be taken outdoors and can’t be a still life photograph. This would be an easy assignment if we told you to take a photograph of an apple against a white background. The purpose of this assignment isn’t for you to prove you know what simplification is. The purpose is for you to show that you can implement simplification into your pictures even in a cluttered and disorganized environment. It’s about organizing chaos.

Given that this was the assignment I think you misunderstood the use of the word chaos. We mean visual chaos not the chaos of children at play.

For example on page 2 of 22 in the lesson pdf for lesson there is a photograph of bamboo. A group of bamboo shoots is inherently a chaotic environment. However the photographer has framed them in such a way that the vertical lines create a stunning and calming image. Chaos into beauty.

I think you’ll need to reshoot this one to fully understand the goal of the assignment.

Take a look at the lesson again and don’t forget about the basics of composition!

Good luck!

We’re only being hard on you to improve your photography. (by the way, watch out for all those kids!!)

Lynn
    Participant

:mrgreen: Hello!!!!! Well, I finally had a chance to complete this assignment. I hope I provide a better photograph this time as I was not happy at all with my last choice and I am still wondering what in the world I was thinking… with that being said: I went to a Cemetery!! 😮

Duncan Rawlinson
    Keymaster

Hi Lynnie,

Your first photograph is exactly what we wanted.

By grouping the headstones and featuring them all as one element you’ve simplified the framed and achieved the assignment.

Often the sky is one of the best simplifying elements you can find because it’s always there and it’s usually inherently simple…

In your second photo I’m not sure the forest really adds anything to the frame. Maybe it’s just me but the first photo feels much better.

Good job on this one.

Lynn
    Participant

Awesome!!!! thanks so much for your reply! Can’t wait to submit Lesson #7! :mrgreen: Have a great day!

Duncan Rawlinson
    Keymaster

😀

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.