Lesson 6

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Here is the picture for lesson 6.

Duncan Rawlinson
    Keymaster

Hi Santiago.

IPS is on holiday.

Your assignment will be critiqued on Jan 1.

Thank you

Duncan Rawlinson
    Keymaster

Hi Santiago!

This is quite a lovely image you’ve created here.

Here is the EXIF data for anyone looking at this in future:
    [attachment=4:8tf99mcg]DSC_5967-EXIF.png[/attachment:8tf99mcg]

You have managed to take a chaotic street scene and turn it into a lovely calm and simple image. This was the goal of the assignment and so you have done very well here. By shooting at night and positioning yourself the way you have, you created a very simple looking image that is quite nice.

Obviously the ghosting on the dog and the people is a result of the long exposure but I actually think it kind of works. If you really wanted to simplify this even more you could have waited for there to be no people but I’m not too worried about it.

You have composed the image well and shot with excellent settings for this scenario.

One suggestion I would have is get the post processing software Adobe Photoshop Lightroom. One of the most amazing features of this software is it’s ability to almost eliminate the grain in a noisy image. I’m not sure how they do it but its AMAZING and you must have it.

Here are some screenshots of the software:
    [attachment=3:8tf99mcg]adobe-lightroom-screenshot-01.jpg[/attachment:8tf99mcg]

[attachment=2:8tf99mcg]adobe-lightroom-screenshot-02.jpg[/attachment:8tf99mcg]

[attachment=1:8tf99mcg]adobe-lightroom-screenshot-03.jpg[/attachment:8tf99mcg]

[attachment=0:8tf99mcg]adobe-lightroom-screenshot-04.jpg[/attachment:8tf99mcg]

So pick up that software as soon as you can.

Overall you’ve done a really great job here and I hope you continue to improve the way you are. There isn’t much for me to add here and that’s great it means you are really getting good.

See you on the next assignment.

Duncan Rawlinson
    Keymaster

Oh and Happy New Year!!!!!

Thank you! I am glad that you can feel that there is some improvement 🙂 I thought about the people while shooting, but I preferred to leave it, to give some sense of scale of the building and loneliness of the structure.

This place is easy to picture is a pump in my hometown, where I came for Christmas holidays, I always wanted to picture it. Here inspiration came back and I have many other ideas for night shots now that the winter is over Europe. Lets see if they can fit the next lessons.

I normally use Aperture software, but I never checked about the noise reduction, do you know if it has any feature for that? Maybe in some time I will install Lightroom.

Happy New Year 2013!

Duncan Rawlinson
    Keymaster

Aperture has noise reduction yes but it Adobe Lightroom has a much better noise reduction algorithm. Here are a couple Adobe Lightroom tutorial videos.

Thanks for the assignment and good luck on your next one!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.