Lesson 6 Assignment

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Alan Hsieh

I tried to use golden ratio in this picture and cropped it a little bit.
    Maybe I should move my body to avoid the bookshelf on the right side.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Duncan Rawlinson
    Keymaster

Hi there,

I’m traveling at the moment and have really bad internet access. I’ll try to get this critiqued by the end of the weekend.

Thanks for your patience.

Duncan Rawlinson
    Keymaster

Hi Alan,

My apologies for the delay in posting this critique. I’m currently traveling and photographing the Southwest of the United States in my RV. Right now I’m up in the mountains and there is no internet or cell phone reception at all.

No onto the assignment.

First things first the composition is a excellent. You have shown you understood the assignment. You have shown you can compose an image well and use your environment to simplify an image. You’ve knowingly or unknowingly used the age old technique of a frame within a frame. You’ve used the bookshelves to create a frame around your subject. This is great. What’s more all of the leading lines point directly at your subject. This is also fantastic. It draws your eye directly toward the most interesting element in the frame, the person sitting here.

One minor note here would be that if you’re using this frame within a frame technique remember not to clip portions of your subject.

I only have a few concerns about this image.

For one thing it’s often a good idea to ask permission when photographing someone. The trick is to be friendly and approachable. Say hello first, then ask away. This image just has bit of a creepy feeling to it. Like you’re sneaking around taking photos when people don’t see you. It just feels a bit voyeuristic. Of course, if that’s the feeling you’re going for than go for it. Just be aware that it may make your viewer uncomfortable and they may not know why. What’s more, photographs with people’s faces are almost always more compelling than those with faces obscured.

Also you should be aware that in some places you may need permission to photograph.

Overall you’ve done an outstanding job on this assignment and I look forward to seeing what you come up with next.

Nice work!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.