Lesson 6: Basic Composition

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Here is my submission for Basic Composition

[attachment=0:2811ywvj]basiccomp.jpg[/attachment:2811ywvj]

Duncan Rawlinson
    Keymaster

Great work with this assignment.

I’ve taken a quick glance at your next few assignments and I think this is the first in the series of photographs that have corrected a lot of the technical mistakes discussed in the previous assignments.

For example, in this image you have a strong sense of depth, but you’re correctly exposed in all of the different layers of the image. Your subject’s face and her legs are properly exposed as is the blanket of the bed. You have your key light coming from the right which cases some nice shadows on the subject’s face and brings out some of the texture in the bedding. The lighting really helps this image come alive.

You’ve also managed to work with a limited color palette and you’ve successfully used the yellow blanket to act as textured negative space helping you better isolate your main subject.

You’ve also placed your subject off to the left hand side to ensure your composition uses an informal balance. Again, this helps you ensure your image doesn’t come across as flat or boring. By abiding by the rule of thirds you’ve effectively dramatized your composition.

Great work on this image!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.