Lesson 7 by Annette redo

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Annette
    Participant

I don’t know why the first image is so small. So here is a redo picture.

Duncan Rawlinson
    Keymaster

Hi Annette,

I’m going to edit your post and critique it now.

( will add both images here to your post… )

Duncan Rawlinson
    Keymaster

Ok so now that I’ve edited the post let me do a critique…

Standby.

Duncan Rawlinson
    Keymaster

Let’s start with your hard light image.

This is quite a nice image with lots going on. If there was a couple tweaks it would be a nicer image.

First the composition of the image is quite nice and the main area of interest (the gentleman looking right at you) is very well placed.

However you will probably notice a few things. One there pointy flag and the top of the mans hat on the left edge of the frame. The tip of the hat can be cropped out and the flag would just have to stay.

Also in this particular instance if you could position yourself such that everything modern was removed from the frame (those tents in the back) it would have added to the ‘historical’ feeling of the image. Also, there are certain vintage filters you can apply to images. A sepia effect can sometimes add a nice vintage look. Like this:

[attachment=0:htezz2yj]_7231841_sepia.jpg[/attachment:htezz2yj]

I also sharpened the image and cropped it a little bit.

I sharpened the image because the image looks ever so slightly out of focus. THis is most likely due to camera shake. Its critical that you try to hold your camera as still as possible when shooting or adjust your settings accordingly to reduce camera shake. Or use a faster lens..

In terms of the quality of the light here, it actually looks to be quite hazy and a little more difuse than I would have liked. Take note of the shadows. As a general rule the sharper the lines on the shadows the harsher the light.

Now onto your image of the baby.

The first thing is that this was shot at ISO 100. In this low light situation it’s probably too low of an ISO to get a sharp image. You’ll note that this image is a bit out of focus as a result… The ISO is basically how sensitive the sensor on your camera is… The higher the number the more sensitive it is. Note that the higher the number the more grainy/noisy your photos will be as well…

The quality of the light is relatively soft although it appears as though there is an incandescent light above her.

Overall I think you’ve done a pretty decent job on this assignment.

Try to remember to look at the shadows and always be thinking about the quality of the light your are shooting in.

Annette
    Participant

I did use the sepia filter but I was not sure if it looked vintage so I put it back and the black and white looked to harsh. I see what your saying about the tents. I had alot of other shots of the reenactors however, the Deer Park water bottles everyone was drinking (it was 102) looked out of place. There were alot of power lines that I need to get out of the pictures. What sort of photo shop should I use?

Thanks for your help,
    Annette

Duncan Rawlinson
    Keymaster

When you say what sort of photo shop you should use what do you mean?

Do you mean what software? If so are you using a mac or a pc?

Thank you!

Annette
    Participant

I’m a PC. I have adobe photo shop, but I must admit I’m a bit of a computer novice 🙄 so I can use all of the help I can get.

Thanks,
    Annette

Duncan Rawlinson
    Keymaster

The trick with photoshop is to use it only to enhance your images.

Photoshop is such a remarkably deep application that you can spend a lifetime playing with it! It’s almost too much for a novice to enjoy using.

I would recommend getting yourself some software that is easier to learn and use.

What do you use to manage your photographs?

Have you tried playing around with Picasa? (free application)
    http://picasa.google.com/

If you just want to do simple improvements on your images like cropping, fixing color and contrast picasa is good.

If you want something more advanced I would get Adobe Lightroom.

I use lightroom for all my stuff. It’s like all the stuff you would use photoshop for but optimized for photography.

It’s really incredible.

If there is something specific you want to learn in photoshop let me know.

Annette
    Participant

I do use picassa, I really like it. For some reason I thought that when we submitted our pictures unless it was instructed to do so , you wanted the pictures as we took them. I will be more dilagent in tweeking my images. Since I am an X-Ray technologist one would think I would know how to do this. 🙂
    Thanks again,
    Annette

Duncan Rawlinson
    Keymaster

Yes I would prefer that your images we’re undoctored. It’s ok if you do some very minor tweaks though.

I was just saying that in this case it would fun to add some vintage effects etc. Also it’s good for you to learn hot to sharpen an image and fix the color.

But yes, try to shoot your images properly first in camera, then if you need to fix something later you can use some software on your computer.

Thanks!

😉

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.