Lesson 7 – Hard & Soft Light

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Participant

We went to a new mall just outside of town today. My hard light photo was taken outside, it’s a piece of sculpture outside one of the entrances, and my soft light photo was taken inside.

[attachment=1:9b7071it]hardlight.jpg[/attachment:9b7071it]
    [attachment=0:9b7071it]softlight.jpg[/attachment:9b7071it]

Duncan Rawlinson
    Keymaster

wow. Some of your best work yet. It’s abstract but you’ve incorporated strong compositional elements and you’ve managed to showcase some of your best visual organization yet. These are two of your strongest photographs yet.

Your first image uses a predominance of negative space to help strongly isolate your main foreground object. The sky (negative space), hasn’t only helped you limit your objects, it’s also helped you limit your color palette which has further helped you draw attention to your main object.

All 4 of your edges are clear of distracting elements and focus is very clear.

Your second image is incredibly strong. Where your first photograph incorporated line and minimalism as it’s main photographic elements, this image uses color, shape, pattern and symmetry as it’s main photographic elements.

My only concern with this image is that it appears that you tried to make symmetry a strong visual element and you’ve done a near perfect job. However, your bottom half and your top half are slightly different because you’ve included two lights in the bottom portion of your photograph that you’ve excluded in your top half. This slightly throws off the symmetry of the shot. It’s not visually jarring or awkward and in fact, most people wouldn’t notice, but upon closer inspection, the symmetry is not perfect and everything else you’ve done appears to be symmetrical, so that missing element appears accidental.

Other than that, I really enjoyed these two images. As I’ve said above, this is some of your strongest work yet!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.