Lesson 7 -Lighting

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Kaley
    Participant

Here is my next assignment. Before completing this lesson I really didn’t realize how important lighting was. I chose to take a picture of a guitar and shine a light on just one side. Then I took a picture of shoes in a well lit room. I know understand that proper lighting can have a huge impact. I tired to show the contrast between hard and soft lighting.
    I hope this is what you were looking for. Thanks for the feedback.

Duncan Rawlinson
    Keymaster

Great assignment.

It brings me such joy to see a student start to realize how important lighting is. It’s beyond debate that it’s the most important area of photography. Without light there would be no photography. But it’s great to see it “click” with photographers.

I don’t think I’ve shown you these online tutorials yet. Although they are directed towards filmmakers, the principles apply to photographers as well. Please watch both short videos. You’ll learn so much.

Basic lighting + examples
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6JFVHRwJwc&feature=channel_page

Lighting: Color temperature
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mwqNRqDx680&feature=channel_page

Both of your images accomplish exactly what was asked from you for this assignment. In fact, both images go above and beyond what was asked from you. You’ve incorporated the technical and artistic elements from previous lessons into this assignment as well. You’ve incorporated the elements of object simplicity, texture (especially in the shoes), color control, strong composition, depth, non distracting photography edges and so on.

My only recommendation for this shot would be to be careful when taking low key photographs (such as your short with the guitar). I notice subtle “noise” in the image. It’s not that noticeable until I blow it up, but it’s noticeable nonetheless.

It’s often unavoidable, but if you have a tripod use that as well as try using a lower ISO number. The lower the ISO is the less “noise” you’ll notice in your final image. That being said, low light situations often call for a higher ISO, so it might not be possible, but it’s worth trying out. (just use a tripod and use a slightly slower shutter speed).

Other than that… great images!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.