Lesson 7 – Lighting

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Pippa
    Participant

[attachment=0:2af2a2ec]WLion.jpg[/attachment:2af2a2ec][attachment=1:2af2a2ec]WBee Catcher.jpg[/attachment:2af2a2ec]

Duncan Rawlinson
    Keymaster

Great work with this assignment. I went back and looked at your previous assignment and I’m really seeing a strong sense of progression both from a technical and creative standpoint. Great work.

This assignment called for you to showcase your understanding of lighting intensity and diffusion. You’ve done a great job of that.

I love the image of the lion, but it can have a strong dramatic effect if you push your subject off center a little more. For example:

http://img.visualizeus.com/thumbs/08/11/05/animals,black,,,white,lion,photography,animal,nature-be00ad699d19bb27ee71f74eca52daeb_h.jpg

and

http://www.artmo.com/Images/Artwork/992008155622773Lion_Before_Storm_II__Sitting_Profile.jpg

This would help you weight your photograph using more of an informal sense of balance which often helps make the composition more dramatic. What you’ve done isn’t wrong. In fact, I like your composition a lot. I just want to see you continue experimenting with balance and “weight”.

I love the strong sense of depth you’ve incorporated with the weeds in the foreground, your main subject in the middle-ground and the beautiful texture of the trees in the background.

I also appreciate how you’ve managed to limit the color palette of this composition to gradients of gold and red. What a breathtaking, royal, color palette. Great work.

Your focus, the texture, colors, lighting, exposure and framing are all very strong! Great work.

Your hard lighting photograph is also very good. Again, you seem to have been able to find sharp focus on your subject’s eyes (not an easy task when shooting moving wildlife) and you’ve once again worked with an informal sense of balance. Unlike the soft lighting photograph of the lion, with this photograph you’ve decided to completely remove the context that the background provides by using an extremely shallow depth of field. Your background has become more of an abstract object used as a design element rather than a tool to help expose the environment of the photograph.

I’m particularly happy with the fact that you’ve managed to use direct light without “burning out” any of the white areas of your photograph. All digital information is visible which means you have a strong “negative” to work with in post production.

I like seeing your different approaches to controlling your environment. One isn’t right over the other. Each method has it’s own uses and it’s nice to see you take advantage of that with this assignment.

Great work!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.