Lesson 8 – Abstract Composition

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    ChristopherP
    Participant

I took this photo in my office. I tried to avoid clutter, crop in camera, keep to the rule of thirds, and I tried to imagine the cornucopia in the image. I also wanted to keep more along the lines of what I have been doing with close cropped images, patterns and colors in my other lessons — to follow a theme as mentioned in Lesson 8. I still had to adjust the white balance in post but it wasn’t by much.

Duncan Rawlinson
    Keymaster

Hi Christopher,

I like that you’ve made a choice here.

You’ve chosen to remove everything from the frame that you possibly can, even color!

It’s certainly an abstract photo and I like that you’ve tried to do something different. The image is quite simple and elegant. It might work well in a series simple minimal.

In a simple image like this there is no need for so much noise. It’s shot at ISO 400 and I’m sure it could have been 100. Especially because this is the kind of image that would be blown up and displayed.

Now when you’re making an image like this you can really break the “rules”. Don’t be afraid to do so. Just break them for a reason…

The only problem I have with this image is that it wasn’t what the assignment was about…. The assignment for lesson 8 is:

This lesson is about finding a way to reproduce something you imagine in your mind onto your camera’s film or CCD chip. It could be a scene from a day dream or just something you think up on the spot. Try to use your imagination to ensure it’s as dramatic as possible.

It goes on… (check the pdf…) Now I don’t really mind if you do your own thing I just want to ensure you are getting something out of the course…

What do you think? Do you feel this really meets the criteria for the assignment?

Here are a couple images to inspire you based on what you’ve shot here:

[attachment=2:1rfwbwey]minimalist example 01 6993904230_5978d6b8c5_b.jpg[/attachment:1rfwbwey]
    photo by thomasletholsen

[attachment=1:1rfwbwey]minimalist example 02 6995760104_ab491b75b1_b.jpg[/attachment:1rfwbwey]
    photo by thomasletholsen

[attachment=0:1rfwbwey]minmalist example 03 7029194681_f23f661ec7_b.jpg[/attachment:1rfwbwey]
    photo by spodzone

😉

ChristopherP
    Participant

That makes sense. I’ll stage something and shoot again.

Duncan Rawlinson
    Keymaster

Ok. No worries if you don’t want to.

I don’t want this to feel like school. More like fun learning… 😉

ChristopherP
    Participant

OK, here is my new staged photograph. It isn’t from a dream or anything, and isn’t too dramatic but I did place “anything in any position I wished”. I wanted to play with the reflections in the island and the squares. You will see the top left and right bending (as stated in my new 9 post). I don’t know why that is happening or how to stop it. Any suggestions? Also, I am still having trouble with noise. Every photo since the beginning of the lessons. Is it the ISO? Does the camera automatically change that? I have to study it.

Duncan Rawlinson
    Keymaster

Thanks for sending in another photo.

The bending you are referring to is lens distortion. This can be removed easily with some post processing software such as adobe lightrooom.

In terms of the noise in the image if your camera is set on an automatic setting it will increase the ISO in low light situations. This increases the sensitivity of your camera’s sensor thus allowing it to capture more light and also adding noise. adobe lightrooom also does great noise reduction but a better solution is to take control over the ISO setting.

Especially in this case because you can get away with shooting a non-moving/static scene like this at very low ISO.

Your best bet for a short like this is to shoot at the lowest ISO possible and use a tripod.

I’m curious as to why, in such a symmetrical image, did you choose to leave one door open?

Thanks!

ChristopherP
    Participant

You know, it’s a hallway and there is no door. It bugged me but there was nothing i could do. But I am learning from these lessons, it’s difficult, but definitely learning.

Duncan Rawlinson
    Keymaster

Oh I see! I thought it looked like there was a door there.

All of this kind of stuff is subjective but if you are looking for symmetry than the little details count.

Try to get control of the ISO setting on your camera. It’s very useful, especially in low light.

How are things going? If you have any questions let me know. Thanks.

ChristopherP
    Participant

Wow, time flies. I haven’t been on here in a while. I’m going to try and get back to lessons this summer.

Duncan Rawlinson
    Keymaster

Awesome, you’re always welcome back here.

*high fives*

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.