Lesson 8: Advanced Photography Composition

Photography Classes Online – Icon Photography School Forums Photography Lessons Lesson 8 Lesson 8: Advanced Photography Composition

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    charitymiles
    Participant

Lesson 8: Advanced Photography Composition

This photo was something that I dreamed of creating. I wanted to capture the essence of the civil war era, the history, character and reality of it. I also wanted to create an image similar to the period collodion wet plate process, but with more color. I toned the sepia down to take away the orange tones.

http://flic.kr/p/8zNpdF
    F7.1 & Exp. 1/250

I am having trouble getting the attachment to load, so I have included the weblink instead.

Charity Miles

Duncan Rawlinson
    Keymaster

Regarding the attachments… We’re having some problems with our hosting company. 🙁 So We’re trying to fix it promptly.

Your assignment looks great and I will write a full critique in a day or two.

Thanks!

Duncan Rawlinson
    Keymaster

I think I’ve fixed the attachment issues.

I’ve attached your image to test it…

charitymiles
    Participant

Uploading the photo to see if it works.

Charity

Duncan Rawlinson
    Keymaster

The assignment:

This lesson is about finding a way to reproduce something you imagine in your mind onto your camera’s film or CCD chip. It could be a scene from a day dream or just something you think up on the spot. Try to use your imagination to ensure it’s as dramatic as possible. You have complete creative control of this photograph. You’re not waiting for a decisive moment, and you can place anyone or anything in any position you wish. Use your imagination and have fun. Think about costumes, dramatic lighting, contradicting items, dark gloomy themes, bright, overexposed themes. Below are some more examples to get you thinking

Before I get on my high horse (so to speak) and critique this image I want to say that I really like this image. It’s wonderful, it has a great vintage and historical feel to it. So job well done. I often show my partner images that students create and when I showed here this one her response was, and I quote: “wow! that’s great!”

Now the ‘critiquing’

The main thing that bothers me with this image is the composition.

My eye wants to see the rest of that tent and whatever else is there. My eye is immediately drawn to the subject and then the tent and all the items laying around. The fact that I can’t see it takes away from the image and the overall feel of it. I want to tilt down and pan left but I can’t. The image is as it is. I have a feeling you framed it this way because of the height of the weapon. In that case you can always, repose your subject and lean the weapon over.

The vignetting appears to be a bit too harsh and looks like it was added in iPhoto or photoshop.

There is a small shadow in the foreground and a bright object in the back that is also distracting. (see image below)

The sepia tone is a nice touch and it surely makes the photograph feel older for sure.

This is a great image. If this is exactly how you wanted it then you’ve done exceedingly well on this assignment!!

I’ve added a few little nitpicky items on the image below… A potential crop etc… Click on it to see it large.

Great job!

[attachment=0:5q0gl3bs]details-1.jpg[/attachment:5q0gl3bs]

charitymiles
    Participant

First I must say I really struggled with this assignment. I am good at tweaking ideas, but have a very hard time coming up with my own.

Thank you for being “nitpicky”. These are the things that I don’t know to look for and need to make my images better. It is the little things that make a difference between a good photograph and a great one. I appreciate it.

Charity

Duncan Rawlinson
    Keymaster

I really like the photo.

Keep it up!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.