Lesson 8: Neglected Spindle

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Carolyn Cogan
    Participant

Hi,
    I’m glad to be back, between computer needed to be rebuilt, packing, moving, unpacking, getting organized again and getting my D7000 fixed. I’m here.

This lesson took a lot of thought. The first composition I tried just didn’t come across like I wanted. It was good practice using different light sources, camera angles and props. I just wasn’t happy with it. So, it went on the back burner until I was sitting in my weaving/spare room. I got up and my spindle was lending against my desk and there was the idea, the neglected spindle.

Once I got the shot set up by covering the white floor and clutter I started working. The mid-morning light was not working, the light was better when the sun was setting. I was trying to get the look that the Dutch Masters used.

Duncan Rawlinson
    Keymaster

Nice to have you back. What was wrong with your camera and how did you get it fixed?!

Just a heads up things may change around here in the next few days. I’m going to simplify the website.

Now on with the assignment.

Here is the EXIF data for this image.

[attachment=0:16elsj0r]Neglected Spindle EXIF.png[/attachment:16elsj0r]

Date Time Original: 2013:11:17 17:41:03
    Exposure Time: 1/2
    F Number: f / 4.50
    Exposure Program: Manual
    ISO Speed Ratings: 100
    Metering Mode: Pattern
    Flash: Flash did not fire, compulsory flash mode
    Focal Length: 25mm
    White Balance: Auto white balance
    Make: NIKON CORPORATION
    Model: NIKON D7000
    LensInfo: 180/10 1050/10 35/10 56/10
    LensModel: 18.0-105.0 mm f/3.5-5.6
    Lens: 18.0-105.0 mm f/3.5-5.6
    Exif Version:
    Color Space: 65535
    Pixel X Dimension: 2977
    Pixel Y Dimension: 4839
    Date Time Digitized: 2013:11:17 17:41:03
    Subsec Time Original: 1
    Subsec Time Digitized: 10
    Shutter Speed Value: 1
    Aperture Value: 4.34
    Max Aperture Value: 4
    Light Source: Unknown
    Sensing Method: One-chip color area sensor
    File Source: DSC
    Scene Type: Directly photographed
    CFA Pattern: 846
    Custom Rendered: Normal process
    Exposure Mode: 1
    Digital Zoom Ration: 1
    Focal Length In 35mm Film: 37mm
    Scene Capture Type: Standard
    Gain Control: None
    Contrast: Normal
    Saturation: Normal
    Sharpness: Normal
    Subject Distance Range: Unknown
    ExifIFDPointer: 276
    Orientation: 1
    X Resolution: 300
    Y Resolution: 300
    Resolution Unit: 2
    Date Time: 2013:11:18 13:17:24
    Software: Adobe Photoshop CC (Windows)
    Artist: Carolyn Cogan
    Copyright: ©Cogan & Cogan Inc
    DateCreated: 2013-11-17T17:41:03.001-07:00

The first thing you can tell is that just by looking at the histogram you can see the image is underexposed. Now that’s ok because it looks like you are trying to achieve a dark and dramatic look to the image.

The light is gorgeous but the image is just a little too far underexposed. Notice how you lose so much detail on the yarn etc.

Compositionally the image is great. Although one may be confused about the scale of the image. Is this item large and leaning against a bed footboard or is it tiny and leaning against the back of a desk or something. In that way the image could be a little confusing to the viewer even if they don’t know why.

I really like the idea of trying to emulate the work of the dutch masters. Photographers can learn a great deal from the amazing artists of the past. I mean just look at the tonal range of their works. There are deep blacks and some nice highlights and they we’re just working with paint. Also the texture is quite rich in their works and the colors are lovely as well.

Overall you’ve done well here but I would just keep an eye on your exposure. If possible try to achieve those deep blacks without losing too much detail. Great job!

See you on the next one.

Carolyn Cogan
    Participant

The problem I had with my camera was in the manual mode the 39 focus points would not work but it worked in auto mode. There was some broken parts which were fixed and cleaning. When I got it back the autofocus still wasn’t working right. I sent the camera back when it was returned it worked in manual mode. The next time I have problems I will sent it directly to Nikon. The techs did not understand how to shoot with a camera in manual mode and autofocus points.

Duncan Rawlinson
    Keymaster

I’m glad you got it all sorted out!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.