Lesson 8 – Wyckoff

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Kirk
    Participant

Ok, I love close up shooting. So, I wanted to do some kind of macro shot with and EXTREMELY shallow depth of field of a plant just sprouting. Kind of like being born into an unknown world. I wanted it to be almost entirely blurred with just the sprout being in focus (thus showing a birth). I couldn’t get this shot with my telephoto because I couldn’t get in close enough. I had to use a $30 close up filter to do it. Not sure if this is allowed for the assignment but it’s the only way I could get what I wanted to produce. Let me know if this doesn’t work and I will grab another shot more in line.

Kirk

Duncan Rawlinson
    Keymaster

Hey Kirk,

How are you?!

I love that you’re trying things. There are no rules when it comes to creativity! The only thing I recommend is that you do the assignments kind of in order…

I have never used the close up focus filter and I actually think there may not be a filter that can technically even do that.

Focus is really determined by the optics of your lens. Tell me more about this filter.

If you’re into close up macro photographs I highly recommend you get a macro lens.

I’m currently looking at the 100mm IS macro from canon. I’ll probably get that soon.

Given all that, I like that you’ve tried something new here and you had something in mind to shoot.

I have to say though that the filter has overwhelmed the image to the point where it’s detracting from the quality of the time.

There is certainly something to this effect but the way you’ve used it here seems quite heavy handed.

Let me know if you get a macro lens.

Nice work here. I’ll get to your next assignment shortly.

Thanks!

Kirk
    Participant

Thanks for the feedback! Yes, the filters I used were a set of them that you can magnify 1x, 2x and 4x. I used the 4x close up filter(they fit just like a normal one, like UV). I knew the depth of field would be really shallow though not as drastic as this ended up. The goal was to make the sprout look like it was emerging out of a “cloud”. I do plan to get more into macro stuff because I love close ups. You can make things look very surreal and abstract which is what I like. The problem is the cost. Soon, very soon. 🙂

Thanks again. This is an awesome class.

Kirk

Duncan Rawlinson
    Keymaster

Glad you’re enjoying it.

Feel free to post some stuff in the general chat section.

I’m trying to get that part of the site going.

Here are some of my macro shots. Haven’t been doing much macro lately though.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.