Lesson 9 – Wyckoff

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Kirk
    Participant

Ok, I got this shot walking through the woods and I just had to use it for this assignment because the webs in this provide such a neat variance in tonal values. The worms and “egg things” provide the dark tones. Anyway, see what you think and let me know if you need something else.

Duncan Rawlinson
    Keymaster

Just to be sure can you submit another image that has a nice tonal balance as well?

Thanks.

Kirk
    Participant

I certainly can! I took a bunch that day. I will post something this week.

Duncan Rawlinson
    Keymaster

Great!

Kirk
    Participant

I found some old farm equipment being consumed by the woods while I was out shooting one day. Here are some of those shots. Plus, I put a couple others I did. Hopefully this is a mix of tonal values and harsh dark/lights. Let me know how I could have framed the farm equipment shots better. There was so much going on since the woods was pretty thick. I tried to isolate it as best I could.

Thanks,
    Kirk

Duncan Rawlinson
    Keymaster

Hey Kirk!

Nice images here.

Your images certainly do illustrate a nice tonal range and that’s really the main goal of this assignment. Black and white photography takes years and years of practice to master. I’m nowhere near getting there but I’m improving all the time. You should too if you work at it.

In these images specifically here are some notes:

Your image of the statue has is shot from such an angle that it feels a bit distorted in a way. I would have preferred for it to be shot at eye level with the statue as the current angle just makes it feel a bit off in some way and doesn’t add value. Also, watch out for the white hot blown on spots on the chest of the statue.

I can see why you would want to photography that wheel but at the same time if there is no way to make it work you don’t have to shoot it. there is nothing saying you can’t just admire something for what it’s worth and not photograph it. The thicket of bushes and clutter in the frame really makes it hard for me to feel anything about it.

That said, I think your instincts are good because on your last image you isolated those metal teeth looking objects. Now that has punch and that has interest. Just look at this image in contrast with the previous image. It’s not even close for which is the superior/more interesting image. Would you agree?

There are no rules saying you can’t clean things up a little bit too.

I would have removed the vines on this thing before shooting it myself. Although it does give a feeling of being grown over.

Overall you’ve done some nice work here and I hope you’re having fun with it!!!

Kirk
    Participant

Thanks Duncan, always great advice! Yes, I can see which of the images are the best. I’m glad you liked the “teeth” one. My goal for those shots was to show how nature is reclaiming even the strongest of materials. That’s why I was leaving the vines and stuff in. However, you are right. Sometimes you just can “force” a shot just because it looks neat or says something to you. The weeds do really get in the way on that middle shot.

As to our buddy Jesus, well that’s about the only angle I could get because it was halfway up a building. I would have needed a helicopter or big ladder. 🙂 Although, maybe this gets back to your previous statement about not forcing a shot. I did want a “looking down” on you feel. That way it could have a message to christians and even non-christians (think about that one) 🙂

Anyway, you advice helps a lot and I will most certainly heed the message! Onward!

Duncan Rawlinson
    Keymaster

Excellent stuff Kirk.

At a certain point you get past the technical stuff and you start to get to the “what am I trying to say” level.

At that point I really have no business telling you what is right or wrong because it becomes highly subjective if you know what I mean…

As always great stuff…

As you say, onward!!!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.