lesson 9:Black and White

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    ekshtein
    Participant

This are my 2 black and white pictures.

Duncan Rawlinson
    Keymaster

Wow! Both of these photographs are great.

I’m particularly drawn towards your first image, not only because it has a wider tonal range, but also because of the dramatic composition and texture. Your second image is well conceived, but you didn’t achieve the vibrant whites which can be found in your first composition.

In your first image, you’ve focused your energies on framing a nice house with a tree outside. The vibrant whites are found in the front door area where harsh side lighting is hitting the pillars and again it’s found on the left side of the composition on a light shed light structure.

Then you have your deep, rich blacks found in the house and in the tree. One of the most interesting features of this photograph is the tree and the way the branches create a sense of texture in the air. It’s a beautiful composition.

Speaking of your composition, your use of strong foreground (grass), middle-ground (house and tree) and background (trees, shed, shrubs) has created a sense of layers and depth and giving your photograph the feeling of “being there”. The grass in the foreground really helps create that illusion.

The only thing I would have liked to see you experiment with is your horizon line. What you’ve done isn’t wrong, but it does break the rule of thirds by placing your horizon line in the dead center of the composition. I think what you’ve done works fine, but it’s worth experimenting with.

Again, great work!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.