Lesson#2 by Jess

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Jess
    Participant

I have been taking pictures for the last couple of years, mainly for the purpose of capturing memories and good times with friends. I recently got into taking photos of nature and have been exploring the result of different angles and perspectives of both scenes and objects. I like and admire many photograhers, some not so famous. In doing this particular assignment, I was drawn to the works of Ansel Adams because of my recent interest in nature. However, at this point I seem to prefer color photography.

However, when exploring the list of photographers given for our research I was drawn to the works of Dorothea Lange. I had heard of her before in an American Literature class. She was known for her photography of The Great Depression. She documented the sufferings of a dark time in American History. I feel that only through her black and white photography could the those true feelings be captured. I admire the way her photography brings out both the character and the suffering on peoples’ faces. I’m particular drawn to her photos of families and those of the children that survived through that era.

In taking this photography course I am hoping to not only develop more as a photographer but to also find the area of which I am most interested.

Duncan Rawlinson
    Keymaster

Hi Jess!

Thanks for submitting your second assignment.

I know it’s strange to be writing a short essay as part of a photography course but there is a very good reason for it.

One of the things many photographers do when learning is they just set out to take many many photos and practice the technical aspects of shooting. This is great but sometimes thinking about why you’re shooting is sometimes useful.

Think about it. Ask yourself why am I shooting? What am I trying to achieve? What inspires me?

Thinking about questions like this (and writing this little essay) should get you to think about what you want from your photography.

If you shoot lots and spend a little time thinking about your work you’ll do much better than someone who just shoots lots of images.

I enjoyed reading your piece and you’ve done well on this assignment.

I look forward to seeing you progress through the course.

As always if you need any help send me an email: office@photographyicon.com

Thanks!

Duncan Rawlinson
    Keymaster

Also, you can change your avatar and maybe add a name to your signature by going to your “user control panel

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.