Lesson2 INSPIRATION

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Although the assignment is about a photographer and his or her piece of work, I don’t have any particular photographer that has had an impact on me. To be honest, I bought an SDRL camera a couple of weeks ago and just started to study photography. I am just standing at the entrance of this new fascinating world, which I would like to explore more.

Instead of writing about a particular photographer, I would like to mention about an author who influenced me to start learning photography as a hobby. As you may know, his name is Daniel Pink. He is the author of four provocative books about the changing world of work — including A Whole New Mind and Drive.

Especially, the book, A Whole New Mind: Why Right-Brainers Will Rule the Future, has had a significant impact on me. He claims the rise of right-brain thinking in modern economies and describes the six abilities individuals and organizations must master in an outsourced, automated age. The six abilities consist of design, story, sympathy, empathy, play and meaning. Mr. Pink says these are fundamentally human abilities that everyone can master.

A Whole New Mind: Why Right-Brainers Will Rule the Future
    http://www.amazon.com/dp/1594481717

As I have been a management consultant and now enrolled in a MBA programme, my left brain – analytical thinking – has been dominating my way of thinking. What Daniel Pink says is that if you keep using only your left brain, you’ll lose your job. For example, Apple’s products such as iPod are perfect examples. You need to have sense of beauty combined with shrewd business skills to launch successful products.

After reading this book, I always wanted to use my right brain more with fun! I come to the conclusion that learning photography can be enjoyable and at the same time it will enhance my right brain. I think photography will develop my six capabilities which Pink defined. I need to learn about design through composition. I also would like to learn how to take pictures which tell stories. Emotional aspects such as sympathy, empathy and play are also important as Capa said “If the picture is not good, you weren’t close enough”. Of course, I need to convey some meanings through my pictures.

I hope photography will be my new enjoyable hobby and at the same time it will balance my way of thinking from the left brain to the right.

Duncan Rawlinson
    Keymaster

Hello again.

Thank you for sharing this with us. Your response to the question was dramatically different than any of the other responses we’ve had for this assignment.

This assignment was simply meant for you to analyze the purpose of your personal photographic expedition. You’ve done a great job with this.

I know your will find the upcoming lessons helpful while thinking about ways of organizing and designing natural environments.

Best of luck continuing with the course’s practical work assignments.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.