memory lane

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Caroline
    Participant

Hey. Sorry I took so long! Been bedridden for quite a few months but getting better now. My friend wanted a photo taken of him in front of the house he grew up in as it is going to be knocked down soon. I decided to use sepia to give it a kind of old time snap shot feel.

[attachment=1:gt9dgf0k]P9193809 (3).JPG[/attachment:gt9dgf0k]

[attachment=0:gt9dgf0k]P8283716 (2).JPG[/attachment:gt9dgf0k]

Duncan Rawlinson
    Keymaster

Great work on this assignment. This assignment asked you to use your imagination do whatever you wanted to do to tell your story. You used different aesthetic, location and subject elements to help tell a story of “memory lane”. You wanted to tell visual story with a sense of history and all of the photographic elements support this idea.

Not only that, but your composition is fantastic. This assignment asked you to submit only 1 photograph so I’ll review what I think is the stronger of the two images (the second one with the man sitting down).

What I noticed initially is the slight change in perspective to give the entire composition a slight angle. Rather than shooting your subject straight on, you’ve changed your position so that you have subtle diagonal lines. This ensured your image doesn’t come across as flat or boring. Instead of using horizontal lines, you’ve used diagonal lines. For example, look at the black part of the wall and how it’s angled slightly upwards. Now imaging, if you change your perspective and show the wall so that it was flat. I really like your choice of composition for this scene.

Similarly, its allowed you to include a little bit of road in the foreground. This helps you layer your different depths of the photograph and creates a nice triangular shape in the bottom-right corner.

I also love the aged, textured wall in the background. Instead of this space being “dead space”, you’ve incorporated it as highly textured and interesting “negative space”. If it was just a flat white wall with no texture it would have flatted the composition and run the risk of being too simplified. However, these highly textured, minimalist elements (i.e. wall, road, door and grass), help provide not only texture but also context to your story.

Great work!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.