Photoshop

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    MichaelS
    Participant

Hello again,

Photoshop is one of my favourites. I have been using this program for year as it (or a similar) program is essential for underwater photography. 😀

Here is an example of a how a raw format underwater image can be changed.

What I did is:

Crop the image
    Adjust WB in raw format
    Adjust levels
    Adjust color balance
    Apply unsharp mask

These are the basics here. As I use a strobe down there I would not change the WB settings but (if it’s the case) change them on the PC. Crop, Levels, color and unsharp mask are applied to all images, all of them with care.

I also use adjustments layers for some more delicate cases (e.g. adjust exposure, etc.) for some areas of the picture.

I do not do very much photoshop art, but as an example of combining pictures I add the one used for lesson 8 with a bull added… 😉 😉

By the way, any good tip which could be a nice ‘every day’ objective replacing the standard 18-55mm for Canon?

Cheers,
    Michael

Duncan Rawlinson
    Keymaster

Hi Michael,

As always you’ve done the assignment with subtlety and style. I like that you are using photoshop for a good reason, IE fixing up an image and making it better.

I’m personally not a fan of photoshop for the sake of photoshop. Stuff like this is fun and everything but to me, it’s not really that useful…

What is useful is doing exactly what you have done. You have dramatically improved this image by making simple yet effective changes.

It’s also great that you made changes to an image that you were not able to do ‘in camera’ when you we’re shooting due to being underwater… Obviously it’s best if you can try to do this stuff ‘in camera’ but in this case it’s appropriate.

The selection itself of the bull in your next image could use a little work but it’s an interesting image. Obviously not your best though…

I think you’re like me, we like real images!

For your lens I would consider getting a 50mm prime lens like this Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II.

Although I have no experience with underwater DSLR lenses so if you’re going to shoot underwater this might not be good for that.

Oh and:

[attachment=0:3tm5epyr]bull-flag.png[/attachment:3tm5epyr]

😉

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.