Set Up

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Here I did a photo shoot with a friend of a vision I had in my head. I wanted a 70s theme shoot around sunset.

Duncan Rawlinson
    Keymaster

The assignment:

This lesson is about finding a way to reproduce something you imagine in your mind onto your camera’s film or CCD chip. It could be a scene from a day dream or just something you think up on the spot. Try to use your imagination to ensure it’s as dramatic as possible. You have complete creative control of this photograph. You’re not waiting for a decisive moment, and you can place anyone or anything in any position you wish. Use your imagination and have fun. Think about costumes, dramatic lighting, contradicting items, dark gloomy themes, bright, overexposed themes. Below are some more examples to get you thinking

I have to say you’re really doing well! This is a great photograph. My partner’s response on seeing this photo was, and I quote: “Oh Wow, Really Neat!” and I agree with her.

I’m always inclined to agree with Robert Capa who said:

If your pictures aren’t good enough, you’re not close enough.

– Robert Capa – before ironically was killed by a landmine.

In this case getting in a little tighter would have probably improved this image.

Another area of improvement on this image would be to avoid allowing the sunset to overpower the whole image. That beautiful orange sunlight is kind of taking over the frame and removing detail from the sky and the model’s face.

You could do this by posing her more off to the right or by moving your position as well so she is half lit by the sun as opposed to back lit.

That said, if this is the image you had in your mind than you’ve succeeded brilliantly. If not, you’ve still managed to shoot a stunning image.

Well done!

Participant

Thank you! It was actually a more difficult shoot then I had imagined. The sun being low and bright there was a lot of shadow play going on. I kept moving her around and facing the sun, then her back to the sun and I would just try different angles etc and I got a lot of good shots that I wanted but at the same time the shots I had really planned on turned out to be not so good. But I like how they turned out of for the most part and it was really fun! Esp just playing around with the different settings and shadows and light.

Duncan Rawlinson
    Keymaster

Having fun is what it’s all about!

Glad you enjoyed it.

It’s a great photo.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.