Soft vs. hard lighting

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    erja kaikkonen
    Participant

Hi, sorry for a long delay, I have been diving in Jordan. Here are my attempts for soft and hard light photos. Two for soft light and one hard light. Not the best ones I have taken but I kind of like the soft light ones.

Duncan Rawlinson
    Keymaster

Hello Erja!!!

No worries on the delay. I’m just happy to help you go through the course.

Today is a good day! I get to critique two of my favorite students!!! Yourself and Michael! 😉

How are things in you area of the world?

How was diving in Jordan? Sounds excellent!!

Now the critique:

You are certainly creating some lovely images for the submissions here.

The main idea of this assignment is to get you thinking about light and how that affects your photography. You should always be thinking about the lighting environment you are working in.

Your soft light image of the kayaks is nice but don’t forget about the basics of composition. For instance the pillar in the top left of the frame is touching the edge of the frame… It’s not too important for this lesson but keep it in mind. The main this is that the light is nice and soft and that you have achieved the soft light look! So well done!

You have also achieved a relatively soft light look in your image of the people outside at night as well so nice work. In this image I would liked to have seen more people and closer up but the light isn’t to harsh so that’s good.

Your hard light image shows so very harsh light. When trying to determine how harsh the light is you can always look at the shadows. The sharp lines on the shadows usually indicate hard light. So work accordingly.

I have to say these are not your strongest images to date and I think you know that. I hope that it’s because you were just focusing on the light. 😉

All I can tell you is don’t forget to get close. Like this:

[attachment=0:2bahy9qx]coffee-close.jpg[/attachment:2bahy9qx]
    photo by Zitona

Excellent work Erja!

See you on the next assignment.

erja kaikkonen
    Participant

Thanks for your feedback. I’m honoured to be among your favourites, although that does come with some extra pressure. 😉

You are right, I was trying so hard to focus on the light that I didn’t come up with any good ideas. So yes, that’s why the photos are a bit boring. I realised I mostly shoot in soft light situations. But today I bought myself a new (more stable) tripod so let’s see if that improves my photography!

erja kaikkonen
    Participant

Oh, and I did take a couple of close-ups in Jordan (attached here just for fun), I just didn’t think they were suitable for this assignment. Well, that goes for the second one (lamps). For the first one, I’m just not a big fan of flower photos. Yet, I took one because it looked more interesting than the swimming pool. 🙂

Diving was fantastic by the way, it was my first Open Water Diver course but the Red Sea is a beautiful place to do it. Beautiful fish and corals, and a tank and a wreck too.

Duncan Rawlinson
    Keymaster

Excellent, I like these better.

*jealous of your diving.

Was it hard to learn?

I’m going to learn this summer.

erja kaikkonen
    Participant

About diving.. it’s not hard to learn at all, although you need to go through quite a lot of theory. I did the theory through elearning beforehand and it was actually really good, it takes time but you get more out of it than just watching a few videos on a sunny day at the diving centre (which is the standard way I guess). I am a nervous diver as I had attempted the course a few years back but panicked with the emptying the mask exercise. So this course was an achievement for me in the sense that I got over my fear and anxiety that had been building up over the years.I am also a bit of a control freak so to give up the control to a couple of bottles was nerve-wrecking at first. Otherwise (apart from the mental side that is) it’s not difficult at all, very relaxing to be under water! Really enjoyed it. You’ll love it I’m sure.

Duncan Rawlinson
    Keymaster

Excellent. I’m a very strong swimmer but I don’t think I would be very calm underwater.

Do you have any recommendations for elearning for diving?

Thanks!

erja kaikkonen
    Participant

The PADI centre that you will be doing your dives with should offer also the elearning option. I did it with Sinai Divers in Aqaba (but they also have centres in Egypt). I was very happy. The elearning part will be the same regardless of the dive centre you will be affiliated with as it is a standard PADI course. More info here: https://www.padi.com/elearning-scuba-registration/default.aspx
    Enjoy!

Duncan Rawlinson
    Keymaster

Thank you!!!!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.