THE FEELING

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Oriyomi
    Participant

Photography as I perceive it is more than beauty, fashion, or amazing work of art, or portray of memory lasting or unforgettable moments, even the most said to be unforgettable moment can be forgotten when the feel is missing.

A photographer is not considered at to be at his best because he knows the technicals of his camera or use of or control of light, or because he gets lucky and happens to be around a natural disaster, a tragic moment, a scene showcasing pain. No!

I believe a photographer is regarded to be a his best when he can feel his environment; the sensation of the cold air of a sorrowful scene, or the raging fire that burns skin deep in an angered scene or the unbalances of a chaotic situation.

If a photographer can achieve this state of sensation or feel, everything else becomes irrelevant and vanishes and a story is told in an image with perfection.

An Example is the Biafra 1969 image http://www.digitaljournalist.org/issue0309/lm03.html

Don McCullin said “I was devastated by the sight of 900 children living in one camp in utter squalor at the point of death,” he said “I lost all interest in photographing soldiers in action”

Not that “soldiers in action” has no feel to it, but at that time I assume it was common, but the Biafra 1969 was new and had an uncommon feel of pain and tragedy; children who lack protein and caught the kwashiorkor disease, sheltered in one camp during the Biafra War in Nigeria 1967

Photographers should do more than to take an eye pleasing image but actually feel the scene, and produce an art of photography that will linger with Perfect image(s) to be d best story tellers.

Even the Most uninteresting scenes have a feel.

Duncan Rawlinson
    Keymaster

Great submission and very well written.

The lighting, story, composition and great use of framing all come into play in most photographs however. It’s true that capturing the essence of a story is important, but photography wouldn’t exist without light, so it’s equally as important to know your tools. Just as a painter requires tools, so does a photographer. It’s about knowing what those tools are and how to use them to advance your compositions.

Great work.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.