Understanding Aperture and Shutter Speed

Photography Classes Online – Icon Photography School Forums Photography Lessons Lesson 3 Understanding Aperture and Shutter Speed

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Claudia Samples
    Participant

hi there,

at first i was having a bit of a hard time understanding it. I think i focused too much on the Numbers but then i have done some more research and tried out a few things and while i practiced i started to get a hang of it and now i know the difference and what to do for each kind of Photograph! I hope i met the requirements and if not I’ll re-take the Pictures! ๐Ÿ™‚
    This was so much fun though, thanks alot!

[attachment=1:16hzq27d]_DSC2653.JPG[/attachment:16hzq27d]

[attachment=0:16hzq27d]_DSC2571.JPG[/attachment:16hzq27d]

Claudia Samples
    Participant

oops, i posted the first photo twice. i didnt mean to, sorry! ๐Ÿ˜€

Duncan Rawlinson
    Keymaster

Yes the goal of this assignment is to get you thinking about motion, light, and controlling your camera.

You have to think backwards… In other words you have to think about the look you want to achieve and then setup for that look.

It’s not easy at first but with practice you will get the hang of it.

You have done a few things here that are smart. You have controlled the amount of light by shooting in a very dark environment and you’ve just played around.

I would recommend you take a look at the “painting with light” bonus lesson in the student workspace for this kind of thing. It’s always tricky to nail your focus in the dark!

Your shallow depth of field image also meets the requirements of the assignment, although I would have preferred you shoot at a f3.5 (which I think is the fastest that lens goes) and a lower ISO but you might not have been able.

So you’ve clearly understood both elements of the assignment.

The key takeaways here are playing and experiment (always good!)

Also notice how your shallow depth of field image looks different at varying scales. This has to do with the circle of confusion and is quite complicated, but just understand that your images will look vastly different at different scales. This is especially true with focus.

Duncan Rawlinson
    Keymaster

Also if take a look at my responses here.

And take special note of the charts ๐Ÿ˜‰

Duncan Rawlinson
    Keymaster

I also editing your post to remove the duplicate.

Thanks!!!

Claudia Samples
    Participant

thank you for the critique.
    i took a look at the charts and they are very helpful. ๐Ÿ™‚

i was trying to find the extra lesson “painting with light” but i couldn’t find it. would you mind to post a link to the page maybe?
    so could i move on to the next lesson or should practice this more?
    Thank you. ๐Ÿ™‚

Duncan Rawlinson
    Keymaster

It’s under the bonus section on the student workspace.

[attachment=0:3ltfubs8]bonus lessons.png[/attachment:3ltfubs8]

Thanks!

Duncan Rawlinson
    Keymaster

I just noticed you are a bronze member!

๐Ÿ˜ฎ

Claudia Samples
    Participant

i got a mail from the office too and i just told them that i have upgraded to silver last month.
    i got the confirmation mails for all that saved up if you need them as proof. ๐Ÿ˜‰ so im not sure what went wrong but i got a mail saying that im now paying for the silver package…

Duncan Rawlinson
    Keymaster

This has all been sorted out now.

There was some confusion about what level of member you we’re.

Everything is ok now.

So please advance to the next module!

Thank you and sorry for the confusion.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.